History of Scott Middle School
Scott High School- 1959- The main building and the gym were on what is now the front playground. The cafeteria and the 5th grade building are still in use, as well as the track and football field.In 1895 Scott High School began as a one-room school. It was located south of Scott on Highway 90 on land belonging to Mr. Louis Breaux. Later, between 1900-1903, four rooms were built. A few years later, a two-story wooden was built. In 1921 it became an approved high school. The last Scott High School was built in 1927 on a site about a block from the original site on land donated by Miss Amelia Breaux, daughter of Mr. Louis Breaux. The former site is now the location of L. Leo Judice Elementary, where kindergarten and first grade are taught. Incidentally, grades two, three, and four are taught at Westside Elementary.
In 1969 Judice High School and Scott High School were consolidated creating the new Acadiana High School. What had been Scott High School then became Scott Elementary School with grades five through eighth. In 1981, construction of a new Scott Middle School began with some renovations to three existing buildings. The old two-story building, gymnasium, home economics cottage, special education building, and library were demolished. The new Scott Middle School was occupied for the first time at the opening of the 1983-84 school session.
At one time the Scott Community was primarily rural, and the economy was dependent upon cotton and sweet potatoes. This is no longer true. During the thirties the oil boom in the proximity of Lafayette and the industrial development that followed changed the economy so that it is no longer dependent upon agriculture. As the economy changed and the school population increased, the school had to adjust its organization and curriculum to meet the needs.
There has been a steady growth in student enrollment. Students come from Westside, Duson, Live Oak, and Ossun. There are approximately 950 students currently enrolled in the school.