The W.D. & Mary Baker Smith Career Center would like to congratulate
2018 Teacher of the Year Mr. Darren Hebert
The W.D. & Mary Baker Smith Career Center would like to welcome
our new Assistant Principal, Mr. Gil Douglas
Ms. Veronica C. Benoit selected as Support Staff of the Year
The W. D. & Mary Baker Smith Career Center serves as an extension of the six area high schools in Lafayette Parish. This innovative school offers students:
- Career and technical enrichment that provides hands on experience in two or three-hour blocks of instruction.
- Approximately 20 courses in four career clusters-Art & Humanities, Business, Engineering & Industrial Technologies, and Health & Human Services.
- Certified teachers and highly skilled professionals/ technicians who proudly prepare students to meet employers’ performance standards.
- Ability to gain “real-world” experience by learning a particular trade, which will enhance their professional career choices.
- Completing a Career and Tech program at the Career Center gives each student the opportunity to continue their education at a four-year college or university, a two year technical/community college, or apprenticeship program. Others will enter the workforce full-time upon graduation.
Programs of Instruction
The Career Center offers approximately 20 career related courses and core/elective courses through a virtual learning environment. The curriculum is based on the expectations set forth by the State Department of Education as well as the needs of business and industry.