skip to navigation | skip to content

Home  :  Schools  :  Registration  :   Registration Frequently Asked Questions

Registration Frequently Asked Questions


How old does my child have to be to attend school?

Under state law, a child must be 5 years old by September 30 to enter Kindergarten. To enroll in Pre-Kindergarten children must be 4 years old by September 30.


How do I know which school my child will attend?

Click here to visit our Maps & Zones page to locate what school your child will be attending via our street directory, or call the Child Welfare & Attendance Department at 337-521-7089. You must provide your address and then you will be given the name and address of the school your child will be attending.


How do I go about enrolling my child in the school?

While you may go to the school at any time during regular hours to enroll your child we encourage you to use the centralized registration option for the most thorough access to services.


What sort of paperwork will I need to enroll my child?

You should bring the following items to the school:

1.  Verification of Address

(Must be a current Gas, Electric, or Water bill with the name and address printed on the bill or a Verification of Service from the utility company)

People who do not have a utility bill in their name may register by providing the following three items:

- A utility bill in the name of the person they live with and,

- A notarized statement from that person saying the parent and the child live with them at that address and,

- A disconnect notice from prior utilities or a state or federal document that is mailed to the parent at that address (WIC, food stamps, disability checks, tax documents)


2.  Withdrawal Form from Previous School (officially withdrawing from your prior school)

3.  Last Report Card

4.  Transcript (High School Only) – current

5.   LEAP Results- if coming from a Louisiana school

6.   Immunization (shot) Records

7.   Social Security Card

8.   Birth Certificate

9.   Legal Custody Papers

- If parents are separated, divorced, or if guardian is other than biological parents, Legal Custody Papers, signed by a judge with docket#, indicating the domiciliary parent is necessary.

10.  Discipline and Expulsion Records (current school year)


Do I need to bring my child with me?

No, children do not need to be present to be registered by a parent or guardian.


What do parents need to bring with them?

  • Birth Certificate
  • Proof of Residence: current utility bill (gas/water/electricity) in the parent or guardian’s name
  • Social Security Card (if available)
  • Last report card
  • Immunization records
  • All documents needed for additional services (Special Education IEP plans, 504 plans, medical needs, legal issues, etc.)
  • ***NOTE: If parents are missing any of the above documents, they should consult or call the Central Office to find out what other alternative documents may be provided instead.


What are the options for filling out registration forms?

The forms below are fillable.  Click on a form to download, then fill in the information requested and bring a completed printed copy to the registration. Or, they may pick up a printed copy beginning Monday, July 23 from their child’s school or the Central Office. Parents may also wait to fill in the forms at the registration. School officials will be on hand to answer any questions and provide assistance with the process.




Will I receive my child’s bus assignment at registration?

Yes, representatives from the transportation department will be on hand to provide assignments and answer questions.


What ancillary resources will be available at centralized registration?

  • Student Services
  • Special Education
  • 504
  • ESL
  • Health Services/ School Nurse
  • Transportation
  • Homeless Services
  • Child Welfare & Attendance
  • Child Nutrition/School Lunch


Where can I get an application form for school meal benefits?

Meal Benefit application forms can be picked up at any school. Click here to start your MySchoolApps online application for school meal benefits.

Special note on Child Nutrition:

Parents or guardians can apply for free or reduced price meals on-site and receive assistance in filling out the Meal Benefit Application. In addition to the standard form, an online application is now available. To complete either type of application, the following information is needed:


  • Student Name
  • Student Date of Birth
  • Student School Name/ Code Number
  • Student Grade
  • Student Income (if applicable)
  • Adult Name
  • Adult Social Security Number
  • SNAP/ TANF/ Food Stamp Number
  • Income for each Household Member
  • Email address required for the online application program


Who should parents contact for more information?

Parents should contact their local school or the LPSS Central Office to obtain more information, or visit the website. Questions may also be directed to the Health and Wellness office at 521-7090.