- Accelerated Reader (AR) is a computer software program that helps teachers manage and monitor students' reading. A student simply picks a book at his or her level and reads it at his or her own pace. When finished, the student takes a short quiz on the computer. Accelerated Reader gives both student and teacher feedback based on the quiz results that the teacher then uses to direct ongoing reading practice.
- Students using Accelerated Reader choose their own books to read, rather than having one assigned to them. This makes reading a much more enjoyable experience.
- Each student is initially given a computer generated test/screening, called the STAR Test, to determine his/her AR reading level. I will inform students individually of the reading level he/she should be looking for in L. Leo Judice’s Library. Students learn how to find these books through a color-coded system used in the library. Books can come from various sources: public library, home collection, the bookstore, etc.
- Children enjoy taking the quizzes after they have completed their books - in many cases, they can't wait! Best of all, they learn and grow at their own pace.
- Students will receive library incentives for taking AR quizzes on a regular basis if they maintain an overall average of 85% or higher.
- Due to Covid-19, Students CAN take AR quizzes from home. Access the AR testing site.
With the online version of Accelerated Reader, your child has access to over 100,000 quizzes! If you would like to see if there is a quiz for a book, go to www.arbookfind.com. There are several search options available.
Track your child’s AR Progress from home with “Home Connect”:
Parents, you now have online access to your child's AR information with Home Connect.
Once you log in, click on the ORANGE box in the upper right that says GET EMAIL UPDATES (Check your child's progress)
(Type in the username and password that your child uses to take AR quizzes at school)
- You can view your child's AR progress from home! If you lost your information sheet with the username & password, send a note to the library requesting this information for your child.
- The goal is for every student to maintain an overall AR average of 85% or higher. In order to achieve success in the AR Program, he/she needs to keep his/her average at 85% or higher. Please reinforce this with your child.
- Students have an individual goal to meet every 9-weeks. Please help your child to monitor & meet their goal.
If you have any questions regarding the AR program or STAR testing, contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org & I will be happy to answer your questions.
Due to the proliferation of spam email, please make sure that your message has a subject entitled, “AR question”.
I look forward to assisting your child in finding AR books that are of interest to them & on their reading level.
I will also conduct lessons in the library demonstrating how to take AR quizzes.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.