The W.D. & Mary Baker Smith Career Center serves as an extension of the high schools in the Lafayette Parish School System. This innovative school offers students:
- Career and technical education through hands-on experience in three-period blocks of instruction in automotive paint & body, automotive tech, cosmetology, culinary, heating ventilation and air conditioning, electrical, medical, machining, and welding programs.
- Certified teachers are highly skilled professionals who proudly prepare students to meet employers performance standards.
- Ability to gain real-world experience by learning a particular trade, which will enhance their professional career choices.
- Completing a career and technical program at the Career Center gives each student the opportunity to continue their education at a four-year college or university, a two year technical/community college, or apprenticeship program. Others will enter the workforce full-time upon graduation.
- Auto Paint & Body I & II
- Auto Tech I, II, & III
- Cosmetology I & II
- Culinary - Prostart I & II
- HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning)
- Machining/Computer Integrated Manufacturing
- Certified Nurshing Assistant
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Medical Assistant
- Welding I, II, & III
Completing the necessary skill components set forth by industry helps to prepare students for successful completion of industry- based testing for the following credentials: Automotive Service Excellence (ASE), Cosmetology hours, Micro-Enterprise, National Restaurant Association Prostart Certificate of Achievement, Servsafe Foodservice Manager, Electrical Training Alliance, NIMS Machining, Emergency Medical Technician, Medical Assistant, Nursing Assistant, SP/2, NCCER Welding Level 1, and NCCER Welding Level 2.
Collegiate Technical Academy
Students who begin the culinary program as sophomores have the opportunity to earn a SLCC Technical Diploma when they graduate from high school. This will also put them well on their way to earning an associate's degree. The current students have only 5 classes left to earn an associate's degree.
Students in the auto tech, cosmetology, culinary, electrical, hvac, medical assistant, nursing assistant, and welding classes are eligible for dual enrollment through SLCC.
School Hours 7:00 - 3:00
We're sorry, no events were found for this calendar.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.