"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." Dr. Seuss
Library Hours: 7:25-3:05
World Book Online http://worldbookonline.com
Library Catalog (Destiny OPAC) http://destiny.lpssonline.com/common/welcome.jsp?site=122
Click link to access AR: Renaissance Place
This resource guide is meant to serve an an introduction to our digital and physical resources available to you. As a service to you, the Lafayette Public Library subscribes to a large selection of online databases that contain information on a wide variety of subjects.
You will gain access to online learning, homework help, magazine articles, newspaper articles (including The Acadiana Advocate), test-taking practice and tips, career and job-seeking resources, health information, business information, a language-learning tool, automotive repair help, genealogy resources, and more at lafayettepubliclibrary.org.
STAR Reading scores represent how students performed on this test compared to a nationally representative sample of students. These scores present a "snapshot" of achievement at a specific point in time. It is important to remember that many factors can affect a student's test scores. STAR test scores give only one picture of how a student is doing in school.
- The Accelerated Reader program allows students to answer questions on a recently read book whose level is based on his/her STAR score.
- The AR program is built on the premise that practice strengthens performance.
- Students must read and test on books that are on their individual reading level and score 85 percent or better to earn points.
- Like riding a bike or tying shoes, reading is a skill that gets easier with practice!
- Have your child read on their own for about 10-20 minutes each day.
Magazines are available for every age - and they're a great way to encourage regular reading. When you visit the public library, have each family member choose a magazine, and then sit and read together. A younger reader might enjoy Ranger Rick Jr. or Ladybug, while an older child could try Appleseeds or National Geographic Kids.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.