Lafayette Parish School System's Visually Impaired Program services individuals with visual impairments in our parish. Teachers for the Visually Impaired provide direct and consultative services in a variety of educational settings to help students access the curriculum. Braille readers attend elementary, middle, and high school where services can be provided to meet their needs. Students who are partially seeing attend their home zone school where services are provided through assistive technology and accommodations. In order to adapt the learning materials for the students, they are provided with Braille materials, large print materials, magnification/enlargement devices as well as other assistive technology.
Orientation and Mobility instruction is provided on school campuses and in the community as determined by an IEP.
The following websites provide visual impairment information:
- American Foundation for the Blind - https://www.afb.org/
- National Federation for the Blind - https://www.nfb.org/
- Perkins School for the Blind - https://perkins.org/
- Paths to Literacy - https://pathstoliteracy.org/
- Strategy to See - https://strategytosee.com
- Wonder Baby - https://www.wonderbaby.org/
If you have any questions you may contact:
Instructional Content Supervisor
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.